5 Ways to Incorporate Smart Technology in the Kitchen
If your idea of kitchen technology is nuking something from the freezer, please, allow us to introduce you to kitchen tech in 2021. From cheffing it up to entertaining family, there are numerous opportunities for technological advancement in the kitchen. Simplify, connect, and automate with these futuristic inventions for the kitchen.
Before we dive into some of the remarkable ways to incorporate technology in the kitchen, please note that any products listed below are recommended solely based on hours of research rather than any type of brand affiliation.
Now, let’s get cooking!
5 Examples of Smart Technology in the Kitchen
From smallest to largest estimated investment, here are five ways to incorporate smart technology in the kitchen.
1. Smart Tools & Gadgets
Whether they utilize a smartphone or simply elevate your culinary experience, these tools can automate everything from your coffee’s temperature to the cooking process.
Automatic Pan Stirrer | $25 – If you nix a recipe when you see the words “stir constantly,” this kitchen technology is for you. The automatic pan stirrer by Uncommon Goods can be set to stir any simmering or low-heat liquid at regular intervals. What’s for dinner? Delicate sauces and productivity.
Temperature Control Smart Mug | $110 – Love that first mug of coffee (after it’s been sitting for 20 minutes)? Now you can set the perfect temperature on your phone to ensure every sip of your warm beverage is perfect.
Pepper Scale | $300 – This upgraded kitchen tool connects with Alexa to calculate not only weight but also sugar content, calories, lipids, amino acids, and plenty of other nutrient indicators.
2. Voice-Controlled Lighting
Smart lighting is a popular request when it comes to technology in the kitchen. Lighting can be controlled from a central panel that communicates with all lights or from a voice- or app-activated system.
Voice-controlled lights connect to a smart device like Alexa or Google Assistant and can work with a variety of lights, including:
- Under-cabinet lighting
3. Smart Faucets
Touch faucets are nice, but once you experience the convenience of a smart faucet, you’ll want the whole shebang. Look for a smart faucet that can:
- Turn on and off via voice command and/or motion sensor
- Pour specific amounts of water into a container
- Let you adjust the temperature of the water via a digital display
- Heat up or cool down water before you turn on the faucet
4. Countertop Appliances
Every meal will be cooked to perfection when you install smart technology in the kitchen, from microwaves and air fryers to toasters and convection ovens. Here are just a few specific countertop appliances that can modernize even the most traditional kitchen.
Sharp Smart Countertop Microwave Oven (SMC1449FS) | $170 – Connect your (1000-watt) microwave with Alexa to control cook times, and don’t forget about scan-to-cook technology!
Amazon Basics Microwave | $75 – For a comparable price to other 700-watt microwaves, this model offers voice-control through Alexa. It’s an excellent option for those looking to dabble in smart kitchen technology!
2-Slice High-Speed Smart Toaster | $300 – This touch-screen toaster allows you to choose your ideal level of darkness and the exact types of slices you’re cooking (English muffins, bagels, toast, waffles). And no matter your selections, it’s always finished toasting in 15 seconds.
The June Oven | $599 – this is a convection oven, air fryer, dehydrator, slow cooker, broiler, toaster, and warming drawer all in one. It also preheats three times faster than a conventional oven, automatically recognizes foods, and connects to your smartphone for easy cooking.
5. Large Appliances
Refrigerators, ovens, and dishwashers also come equipped with smart technology that can drastically simplify your life. Here are a few features to keep an eye out for as you shop:
- Transparent touchscreen doors
- Touchscreen that allows family members to leave messages for one another
- Recipe look-up option on the touchscreen monitor
- Drawer-specific temperature control
- Interior cameras so you can check what you need to buy while at the grocery store
- Water filter alerts
- Expiration date settings that alert you when an item is going to expire
- WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility for voice control
- Temperature control via smartphone
- Smartphone-connected camera in the oven
- Pre-programmed recipes
- Integration with smart recipe apps like Yummly
- Barcode scanner that enables the oven to auto-adjust temperature according to meal
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Start wash cycles, monitor performance, and check cycle status from your smartphone
- Lock or unlock the dishwasher door from anywhere (useful for child safety)
- Compatible with voice control systems such as Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant
- Receive alerts when rinse aid or detergent is low, when a wash cycle finishes, or if the sensors detect a malfunction or leak.
- Download new cleaning cycles for special items
- Sensors automatically detect the size of the load and the amount of grime on dishes to adjust water and energy use to operate efficiently for even small loads
- Monitor energy use in your area and program itself to automatically activate the wash cycle when local energy consumption is low, running the cycle during off-peak hours to save you money
- In models with built-in detergent dispensers, you can receive an alert on your phone when detergent is getting low, or you can set it to order more detergent from Amazon automatically
No matter how you use your kitchen technology, it’s sure to elevate your home’s style. Give us a call to discuss how to incorporate new tech in your upcoming kitchen renovation!